Doctor of Philosophy (Education)
(R3/142/8/0004 (A6267) 08/27)
The multifaceted challenges facing 21st-century education require researchers who can collect and analyse information from a number of academic disciplines — history, psychology, engineering, education, science, and more — and translate these findings into transformative ideas for education policy reform and practice.
The PhD in Education at OUM is an interdisciplinary doctoral program designed to meet the needs of educators in various positions. The requirements for the PhD programme include completing coursework for two modules; Educational Research Methodology and Doctoral Seminar. Both these modules focus on developing knowledge and expertise in conducting high quality research using quantitative and qualitative methods. Candidates are also required to prepare a research proposal for the Proposal Defence, where both oral and written work will be assessed.
As a Ph.D. candidate, you will enjoy unrestricted access to OUM Digital Library where we have a collection of close to 100,000 e-books and an extensive collection of academic journals.
Our core mission in the PhD programme is to produce scholars who can and will use research to contribute to understanding and improving education. The programme prepares you to become a researcher in the area you are passionate about, guided by the goal of having a transformative impact on education research, policy, and practice. Graduates of the programme will be given opportunities to discover exemplary educational practices through research that may contribute to future advancement in education.
Assessment will be based on performance in the two modules and successful completion of the dissertation proposal and final thesis.
|Coursework||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,500 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
1. Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
2. Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
Processing fee: RM50 (Malaysian) & RM200 (International Students)
|Financial options:||Payment Mode:|
|EPF (Account 2); or||JomPAY|
|Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or||Internet Banking|
|HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or||Debit/Credit Card.|
i. Master’s degree in Education; or
ii. Master’s degree other than Education and hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education; or
iii. Master’s degree other than Education and has a Diploma/Certificate in Teaching; or
iv. Master’s degree other than Education with at least two (2) years of teaching experience; or
v. Other qualifications recognized as equivalent by the Malaysian Government.Notes:
i. No direct admission from Bachelor’s degree to Doctoral programme.
ii. Candidates who have enrolled for a Master’s degree programme with a minimum CGPA of 3.67 at the Bachelor level may apply to change the registration of studies to the Doctoral Degree programme, subject to the following provisions:
a. Has demonstrated competency and ability to conduct research at the postgraduate level;
b. Obtain approval from the HEP Senate.
NOTE: Intake is subject to the approval of the Post-Graduate Committee of the Cluster.
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
This programme comprised three parts:
- Part I – Compulsory Core Courses
- Part II – Research
- Part III – Thesis Examination
|Part I: Core Courses|
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Educational Research Methodology||3|
|Doctoral Seminar: Research Area in Education||3|
|After completing the required courses (PART I) learners will begin the research and thesis work (PART II) under the guidance of a supervisor. Each learner will meet the assigned supervisor at least 4 times in a semester and achieve satisfactory progress in the research / thesis work before being allowed to register in the subsequent semester.Areas of specialisations in research / thesis:
|When the learner has completed the thesis and is ready for examination, an examining committee consisting of one internal examiner and one external examiner will be appointed to assess the thesis (PART III). The learner will be examined in the Viva Voce session.|
- What is OUM PhD?
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degree Programme is a doctoral level qualification with a purpose of enabling students to gain expertise in conducting research in a particular field related to education.
- What is the core mission of PhD programme?
Our core mission in the PhD programme is to produce scholars who can and will use their knowledge on research to contribute to the understanding and improving of education.
- How is the programme delivered?
The programme prepares students to become a researcher in the area they are passionate about, guided by the goal of having a transformative impact on education research, policy, and practice
- A comprehensive research methodology course covering all aspects of educational research settings and data analysis procedures.
- Scheduled classes/seminars for the Educational Research Methodology and Doctoral Seminars in the 1st semester.
Assignments are graded and students need to pass a minimum of Grade B before proceeding to the next stage.
- What are the areas of research / specialization?
- Educational Administration
- Curriculum and Instructional Design
- Research and Evaluation
- Educational Technology
- Educational Sociology
- Educational Psychology
- Educational Philosophy
- Special Education
- Any other area approved by Cluster
- What is the required minimum qualification?
- Master’s degree in Education; OR
- Master’s degree other than Education and hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education; OR
- Master’s degree other than Education and hold Diploma/Certificate in Teaching; OR
- Master’s degree other than Education with at least two (2) years of teaching experience; OR
- Other qualifications recognized as equivalent by the Malaysian Government.
- What is the mode of study for the programme offered?
Research: Research is the principal requirement for attaining a higher degree. Students are required to attend some pre-requisite courses as prescribed by the University.
- How many intakes a year are there in your University and when can I start applying?
There are three semesters a year. Semester 1 of the academic year commences in early January while Semester 2 commences in early May and Semester 3 commences in early September.
- How many courses I have to take during the coursework phase?
In order to graduate, students must PASS TWO core courses during the coursework phase, the minimum CGPA for procedeeing to the research phase is 3.0.
- Educational Research Methodology
- Doctoral Seminar: Research Area in EducationBoth these modules focus on developing knowledge and expertise in conducting high quality research using quantitative and qualitative methods.
- How much time do I need to complete my studies?
The length of time required for the completion of a programme depends on the progress of the individual candidate. In general, the minimum is 4 years and the maximum is 8 years.
Programme Minimum Maximum PhD (Education) 12 semesters or 4 years* 24 Semesters or 8 years
* Students will be called to attend VIVA after fulfilling the candidature of at least 4 years
- How can i apply for the program?
Applications must be done through online at https://fastrac.oum.edu.my/
- Should I have any further enquiries, to whom should I refer to?
- Academic Matters: Dr. Mohd Zuri Ghani (03-55205531) email@example.com
- Admin Matters (RPMU staff): Pn Azah Mohamed Aris (03-7801 1817) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exam Matters: En Mohd Firdaus Mohd Ali (03-78011831) email@example.com
- Finance Matters: Pn Haslinda Haron (03-78012076) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2 years
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes