Master of Early Childhood Education
(R/143/7/0097 (MQA/FA 4916) 12/24)
The MECHE programme has been designed to prepare working adults for higher level academic study in early childhood and to conduct research in the area of early childhood education. The research project conducted by students will enable them to learn basic research skills in early childhood education and prepare them for doctoral level study. Students wishing to progress into the academic world are exposed to academic journal writing where they are encouraged to publish their own research paper.
Students taking the programme will be provided with specific information on child care and preschool that includes innovative teaching pedagogies, quality early childhood environment, children with special needs and child development theories to enhance the practice of early childhood education. The prospects for graduates of MECHE are promising as they can embark on careers as early childhood teacher, subject matter expert, consultant, programme designer, author of children’s book, early childhood tutor, trainers and lecturer.
On top of that, students are also taught to design their own early childhood programme or curriculum and learn how to run their own early childhood centre based on the curriculum they have designed. They are also taught on how to expand their business using the franchise system so that their early childhood education centres can be replicated in other locations.
This is a two (2) year or six (6) semester master’s degree programme by coursework.
Assessment is based on the ratio of 60% coursework and 40% final examination.
The programme is delivered through blended pedagogy of self-managed learning, online forum and face-to-face tutorials. Students can opt for the fully online mode where the face-to-face tutorials will be replaced with e forums and e lessons which will guide their learning.
|Year 1||Year 2|
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,000 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
1. Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
2. Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
Processing fee: RM30 (Malaysian) & RM100 (International Students)
|Financial options:||Payment Mode:|
|EPF (Account 2); or||JomPAY|
|Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or||Internet Banking|
|HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or||Debit/Credit Card.|
i. Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or its equivalent as accepted by Senate; or
ii. Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) or its equivalent with CGPA below 2.50, is acceptable subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in related field.OR
- Malaysian; AND
- The candidate should be more than 30 years of age in the year of application; AND
- Relevant work experience / prior experiential learning; AND
- Pass the APEL Assessment (Aptitude Test, Portfolio & Interview) conducted by OUM; AND
- Possess the following qualification:
- STPM / Recognised Diploma; Or
- Matriculation / Foundation (credit score 50-52 credits; CGPA grade 2.00 and above; minimum study period of one year); Or
- A-Level (minimum of 3 courses; minimum grade E; duration of study at least 18 months); Or
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (minimum of 6 courses and 3 required elements; minimum grade of 24 points and above; duration of study at least 2 years).
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO)|
This programme aims to produce graduates that are:
PEO 1: Knowledgeable and competent in early childhood discipline in-line with the industry requirement (Cognitive)
PEO 2: Effective in communication and demonstrate good leadership quality in early childhood organisation (Psychomotor)
PEO 3: Capable to solve education problems related to early childhood innovatively, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach (Cognitive)
PEO 4: Able to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills and recognise the need of lifelong learning for successful career development in early childhood industry (Affective)
|Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)|
Upon completion of all courses in this programme, the graduates should be able to:PLO 1: Evaluate theories and concepts in early childhood education (Knowledge and Understanding)PLO 2: Apply critical thinking skills for decision making (Cognitive Skill)
PLO 3: Demonstrate the skills and principles of lifelong learning in their academic and early childhood career development (Practical Skill)
PLO 4: Demonstrate an appropriate social skills in early childhood education and care activities (Interpersonal Skill)
PLO 5: Demonstrate effective communication and innovative ideas effectively (Communication)
PLO 6: Appreciate digital technology to support learning and improve education experience (Digital Skill)
PLO 7: Appreciate basic symbols relating to statistical technique (Numeracy skill)
PLO 8: Perform leadership in managing early childhood education and care activities (Leadership)
PLO 9: Develop capability to plan for career development or further education (Personal Skill)
PLO 10: Develop innovative entrepreneurial skills in early childhood education industry (Entrepreneurial)
PLO 11: Practice and conduct research in compliance with professional values, attitude and ethics (Ethical and Professionalism)
This is a two (2) years or six (6) semester Master’s Degree by coursework and research programme. Candidates will be exposed to 11 core courses which included courses in theory and research methodology as proposed in the Programme Standards: Early Childhood Education by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (2014). Candidates can register for a maximum of three (3) courses per semester. At the end of the programme candidates are required to conduct a research project and produce a project report of not exceed 15,000 words.
A seminar of two hours per course will be conducted on weekends every fortnightly. Candidates will be provided with Learning Kits as the learning materials which to be used and discussed during the scheduled seminars. Besides face-to-face seminars and presentation, candidates are encourage to actively involved in on-line discussion forums for each course through the MyINSPIRE regarding any issues or concern that they have.
Assessment for every 11 core course is based on 60% coursework and 40% final examination.
What is MECHE?
It is a Master of Early Childhood Programme and fully accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Who are those eligible to register for MECHE?
MECHE programme is designed to prepare working adults for high level academic study in early childhood and to conduct research in the area of early childhood education.
What is MECHE entry requirement?
- Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or its equivalent as accepted by Senate; or
- Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) or its equivalent with CGPA below 2.50 is acceptable subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in related field.
- Candidate must be 30 years old and above in the year of application being made
- Possess Diploma/A-Levels/STPM qualification or equivalent
- Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied
- Pass APEL Assessment for Master Degree (conducted by OUM)
How long is the MECHE study duration?
Minimum 6 semester
Maximum 12 semester
- Students must fulfill the candidature of at least 6 semesters before they can graduate.
- Students may apply for a one-year extension after the 4th year, subject to approval by the Cluster Chair of Cluster of Education and Social Sciences.
When is MECHE intake?
January or May or September intake.
How much is MECHE fees?
Refer to the OUM portal. The fees will subject to OUM policy.
How many courses students need to take?
Students need to take all 12 courses from a list of required courses.
Refer to OUM portal.
How many MECHE credit hours?
40 credit hours
What about MECHE course assessment?
Students need to do coursework (60%) and final examination (40%) with the exemption of Master Project course which is 100% by course work.
What is Master Project?
Postgraduate research project written up in the form of a mini thesis.
Students need to undertake a project that can be completed within the duration of their course (minimum 2 semester maximum 8 semester)
- Students are required to work on a research project under the guidance of a supervisor appointed by OUM
- The completed research project report of not exceed 15,000 words will be assessed by the supervisor (60%) and a reviewer (40%)
What happen if I fail to submit my Master Project on 8 semesters?
If you fail to submit your Master’s Project on 8 semesters your grade for Master’s Project is F and on 9th semester you will charge for full payment (6 credits).
How do the courses in MECHE conducted?
It is a fully online (online face to face tutorials, e-forum and self-managed learning)
How do I access learning materials and submit my assignments?
All learning materials and assignment questions can be downloaded from OUM MyINSPIRE system.
Students are required to submit their assignment online through MyINSPIRE system.
How many courses I have to take for one semester?
The maximum workload allowed is 3 courses per semester.
Is it compulsory to attend physical classes or online classes?
MECHE programme is fully online. We only offer online classes and all online classes are not compulsory.
What are benefits of having MECHE?
- Students will be provided with specific information on child care and preschool that includes innovative teaching pedagogies, quality early childhood environment, children with special needs and child development theories to enhance the practice of early childhood education.
- Students have opportunity to learn how to design their own early childhood programme or curriculum and learn how to run their own early childhood centre based on the curriculum they have designed.
What are rewarding careers or opportunities that might have after completing MECHE programme?
- Early childhood / Preschool teacher
- Subject matter expert
- Programme designer
- Author of children’s book
- Early childhood tutor
- Early childhood lecturer
- Teachers trainer
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2 years
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes