Bachelor of Early Childhood Education with Honours
(R/141/6/0049 (A10993) 10/20)
The Bachelor of Early Childhood Education with Honours (BECHE) degree is designed to meet the needs of persons interested in pursuing careers in early childhood education who are currently employed in preschools, public schools, child care centres or other childhood care facilities.
It is also aimed to develop the specialist skills and knowledge gained through the completion of Diploma in Early Childhood Education (DECE). This is in line with the organisation’s mission to widen access to quality education as well as to provide lifelong learning opportunities by adopting an engaging learning environment at competitive and affordable cost.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
This programme aims to produce graduates that are:
PEO 1: Knowledgeable and competent in early childhood discipline in-line with the industry requirement (Cognitive)
PEO 2: Effective in communication and demonstrate good leadership quality in early childhood organisation and industry (Psychomotor)
PEO 3: Capable to solve education problems related to early childhood innovatively, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach (Cognitive)
PEO 4: Able to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills and recognise the need of lifelong learning for successful career development in early childhood industry (Affective)
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)
Upon completion of all courses in this programme, the graduates should be able to:
PLO 1: Evaluate theories and models related to child development and early childhood education (Knowledge and Understanding)
PLO 2: Apply critical thinking skills and identify problems for decision making (Cognitive skill)
PLO 3: Demonstrate the skills and principles of lifelong learning in their academic and early childhood career development (Practical Skill)
PLO 4: Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and appropriate social skills in early childhood education and care activities (Interpersonal Skill)
PLO 5: Demonstrate effective communication effectively and innovative ideas related to early childhood education effectively (Communication)
PLO 6: Appreciate digital technology available to support and enhance learning and improve education experience (Digital Skill)
PLO 7: Able to use, interpret and communicate mathematical information to solve real world problem (Numeracy Skill)
PLO 8: Perform effective leadership in managing meaningful educational experience for young children and early childhood education and care activities (Leadership)
PLO 9: Develop capabilities needed for early childhood career development or further education (Personal Skill)
PLO 10: Develop innovative entrepreneurial skills needed in early childhood education and care industry (Entrepreneurial)
PLO 11: Demonstrate respect that includes honesty, sensitivity to children’s needs and development, and show behaviour expected by early childhood professionals (Ethical and Professionalism)
i. Lulus STPM atau setaraf dengan minimum Gred C (NGMP 2.00) dalam 2 mata pelajaran; atau
ii. Lulus STAM dengan minimum gred Jayyid; atau
iii. Lulus Diploma Early Childhood Education (ECE) (Tahap 4 MQF) atau yang setara dengannya; atau
iv. Lulus Diploma (Tahap 4 MQF) atau yang setaraf; atau
v. Lulus Matrikulasi/Foundation/Asasi atau yang setaraf; atau
vi. Lulus UEC dengan minimum Gred B dalam 5 mata pelajaran; atau
vii. Kelayakan lain yang diiktiraf setara dengannya.
Syarat kompentensi Bahasa Inggeris bagi pelajar antarabangsa: Minimum IELTS 5.0 / TOEFL 500 atau yang setaraf.
• Warganegara Malaysia; dan
• Calon hendaklah berumur 21 tahun dan ke atas pada tahun permohonan dibuat; dan
• Mempunyai pengalaman kerja/pengalaman pembelajaran terdahulu yang berkaitan; dan
• Lulus Penilaian APEL bagi Sarjana Muda (yang dikendalikan oleh OUM).
i. Pass STPM or its equivalent, with minimum Grade C (GP 2.00) in 2 subjects; or
ii. Pass STAM with minimum grade of Jayyid; or
iii. Pass Diploma in Early Childhood (ECE) (MQF Level 4) or its equivalent; or
iv. Pass Diploma (MQF Level 4) or equivalent; or
v. Pass Matriculation/Foundation/Asasi or its equivalent; or
vi. Pass UEC with minimum Grade B in 5 subjects; or
vii. Other recognised equivalent qualifications.
English competency requirement for international students: Minimum IELTS 5.0 / TOEFL 500 or or equivalent.
• Malaysian; and
• Candidate must be 21 years old and above in the year of application being made; and
• Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied; and
• Pass APEL Assessment for Bachelor Degree (conducted by OUM).
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,000 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
- Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
- Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
- RM30 (Malaysian) & RM100 (International)
- PTPTN; or
- EPF (Account 2); or
- Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
- HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
- Flexible Payment Scheme.
- JomPAY; or
- Internet Banking; or
- Debit/Credit Card.
Bachelor of Early Childhood Education with Honours Faqs
- What is BECHE?
BECHE is an acronym for Bachelor in Early Childhood Educationand fully accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- Who are those eligible to register for BECHE?
BECHE is designed for those who want to develop knowledge of the nature of the child development and their learning process. This programme will assist you in building successful in early childhood education career.
- What is BECHE entry requirement?
Refer to the OUM portal.
- Why do I have to choose BECHE?
It would definitely help you become a better teacher, caregivers, kindergarten operator and have a better understanding of child development.
- What will I learn from this programme?
Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) is more than preparation for primary school. It aims at the holistic development of a child’s social, emotional, cognitive, language and physical needs in order to build a solid and broad foundation for lifelong learning and wellbeing.
- How long is the duration of the programme, and how many semesters in a year?
4.5 years with 13 semesters. There are 3 semesters per year.
- When is BECHE intake?
January or May or September intake.
- How much is BECHE fees?
Refer to the OUM portal.
- How many BECHE credit hours?
120 credit hours
- What about BECHE course assessment?
Students need to do coursework (60%) and final examination (40%) with the exemption of practicum and research courses which is 100% by course work.
- How do the courses in BECHE conducted?
It is a blended learning (face to face tutorials, eforum, e-tutorial learning support and self-managed learning).
- Will the classes be held during weekdays or weekend?
All classes will be held during weekend.
- How do I access learning materials and submit my assignments?
All learning materials and assignment questions can be downloaded from OUM MyINSPIRE system. You will be required to submit their assignment online through MyINSPIRE system.
- What is a practicum course?
Is a period of time within the programme when students are required to be placed in registered TADIKA and registered TABIKA to experience the real working environment. The practicums encompass practical teaching skills needed for students to excel in early childhood industry.
- Who arrange students’ placement for practicum?
Students need to identify their own schools or any teaching institutions.
- How many numbers of weeks that I am required to do my practicum at TABIKA and TADIKA?
- 12 weeks in registered TABIKA
- 12 weeks in registered TADIKA/preschool
- Do I have to appoint my teaching supervisor?
No. OUM will appoint your supervisor.
- What are the job opportunities after I finished the programme?
- Preschool teacher
- Preschool and child care centre operator
- Teachers’ trainer