Doctor of Philosophy (Education)
(R2/142/8/0004 (A6267) 08/20)
The multifaceted challenges facing 21st-century education require researchers who can collect and analyse information from a number of academic disciplines — history, psychology, engineering, education, science, and more — and translate these findings into transformative ideas for education policy reform and practice.
The PhD in Education at OUM is an interdisciplinary doctoral program and designed to meet the needs of educators in various positions. The requirements for the PhD programme include completing coursework for two modules; Educational Research Methodology and Doctoral Seminar. Both these modules focus on developing knowledge and expertise in conducting high quality research using quantitative and qualitative methods. Candidates are also required to prepare a research proposal for the Proposal Defence, where both oral and written work will be assessed.
As a Ph.D. candidate, you will enjoy unrestricted access to OUM Digital Library where we have a collection of close to 100,000 e-books and an extensive collection of academic journals.
Our core mission in the PhD programme is to produce scholars who can and will use research to contribute to understanding and improving education. The programme prepares you to become a researcher in the area you are passionate about, guided by the goal of having a transformative impact on education research, policy, and practice. Aligned with the Graduates of the programme are expected to discover exemplary educational practices from their research that will be factored in the advancement in education.
The assessment method for the programme will be based on performance of the output of the two coursework and on successful completion of the dissertation proposal and final thesis.
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,000 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
- Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
- Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
- RM50 (Malaysian) & RM100 (International Students)
Re-registration fee of RM220 per semester is chargeable for extension of Masters Projects
- EPF (Account 2); or
- Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
- HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
- JomPAY; or
- Internet Banking; or
- Debit/Credit Card.
This programme comprised three parts:
- Part I – Compulsory Core Courses
- Part II – Research
- Part III – Thesis Examination
|Part I: Core Courses
|Educational Research Methodology
|Doctoral Seminar: Research Area in Education
|After completing the required courses (PART I) learners will begin the research and thesis work (PART II) under the guidance of a supervisor. Each learner will meet the assigned supervisor at least 4 times in a semester and achieve satisfactory progress in the research / thesis work before being allowed to register in the subsequent semester.
Areas of specialisations in research / thesis:
- Educational Administration
- Curriculum and Instructional Design
- Reseach and Evaluation
- Educational Technology
- Educational Sociology
- Educational Psychology
- Educational Philosophy
|When the learner has completed the thesis and is ready for examination, an examining committee consisting of one internal examiner and one external examiner will be appointed to assess the thesis (PART III). The learner will be examined in the Viva Voce session.