(R2-DL/142/8/0002 (MQA/FA0666) 08/28)
The Doctor of Education (EdD) is a benchmark qualification in terms of researching professional policy and practice in the field of education. It is a doctoral degree for experienced professionals who would like to extend their professional understanding and develop skills in research. The programme will stimulate and transform their professional thinking and practice, whilst developing a deep understanding on education as a whole.
The Program prepares education scholars and leaders for the 21st century as it provides rigorous teaching in various areas in education, and research training that equips graduates to have broad impact in the worlds of policy and practice.
As their academic knowledge and expertise grow and mature, graduates may assume roles such as university faculty, education consultants, senior-level educational leaders, policymakers and researchers.
Unlike PhD students who basically go straight into research, EdD students will take and complete thirteen modules before moving on into the research phase. The only difference between a PhD and an EdD research is the scope of study, not quality.
If you are a motivated person who love to engage in deep knowledge in various areas within education, and prepared to work hard to earn this prestigious qualification, you are welcome to join our EdD programme. We are here to support you in realising your aspiration.
|Malaysian Learner Fees|
|Bridging Courses (*The bridging courses is only for learner that not fulfill the requirement.)
The University offers 50% discount for:
|International Learner Fees
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
**LATEST UPDATE: 25 February 2021
- Master’s degree (MQF Level 7) in Education; or
- Master’s degree (MQF Level 7) other than Education and hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education; or
- Master’s degree (MQF Level 7) other than Education and has a Diploma/Certificate in Teaching; or
- Master’s degree (MQF Level 7) other than Education with at least two (2) year teaching experience; or
- Master’s degree (MQF Level 7) other than Education and pass three (3) bridging courses offered by the university; or
- Other qualifications recognized as equivalent by the Malaysian Government.
- English language competency requirements for international students: Minimum IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO)|
|This programme aims to produce graduates that are:
PEO 1: To produce Education Practitioners who have state of the art knowledge with practical skills capable of using advanced numerical techniques and digital technologies in the educational settings.
PEO 2: To produce Education Practitioners who lead with autonomy, communicate and interact with internal and external stakeholders in constructing creative concepts/practices through research.
PEO 3: To produce Education Practitioners who advocate professional and ethical practices in all education settings and defend the integrity of the profession at all times.
PEO 4: To produce Education Practitioners with positive attitude, entrepreneurial mind set and sustainable practices in progressing their career and the profession.
|Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)
|Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Current Trends in Higher Education||3|
|Psychology of Education||3|
|Comparative Studies in Curriculum Change||3|
|Quantitative Research Methods||3|
|Qualitative Research Methods||3|
|Academic Writing for Postgraduates||3|
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Educational Change and Innovation||3|
|Educational Law and Governance||3|
|Human Resource Management in Education||3|
|Instructional Tools and Applications||3|
|Instructional Tools and Applications||3|
|Trends and Issues in Distance Education||3|
|Online Learning & Facilitation||3|
|Education Change and Innovation||3|
|Human Resources Management in Education||3|
- What is EdD? Is it equivalent to PhD?
EdD stands for Doctor of Education, a professional doctoral qualification in education, an accredited programme under the National Accreditation Board of Malaysia issued by Malaysia Qualification Agency (MQA/FA0666).
Unlike a PhD which basically focuses on research that produces excellent researchers, EdD studies that focus on specially chosen subjects stimulate, inspire and transforms students’ professional thinking and practice, whilst developing a profound understanding of how relevant supervised academic research can resolve real-life professional issues.
Yes, EdD is equivalent to PhD. PhD is a research degree.
EdD is a professional and research degree. It is designed to meet the needs of those who are interested in pursuing their doctoral studies in education after achieving a master degree, and possesses experience for at least two years in the field of education.
- Does the OUM EdD follow the US or UK version?
Essentially there is not much difference between these two US and UK version, in terms of their structure.EdD was first awarded in 1920 by Harvard University. University of Bristol in the UK, was the first university in Europe that started the programme in 1993, essentially following Harvard’s structure. From there, EdD spread out all over the world.Almost all universities, including OUM, that offer EdD programmes have a common structure that is made up of courses to be taken by candidates before starting their research projects.Well, yes, there are certain variation in terms of the nature and subject areas, and the number of subjects in all EdD programmes, depending on the chosen concentrations, such as curriculum, management, ICT and policy.
- What is EdD entry requirement?
- Master’s degree in Education, or
- Master’s degree other than Education and possess Bachelor’s degree in Education; or
- Master’s degree other than Education and possess Diploma/Certificate in Teaching; or
- Master’s degree other than Education and possess at least 2-year teaching experience; or
- Master’s degree other than Education and pass three (3) bridging courses offered by the university; or
- Any equivalent qualifications recognised by the Malaysian Government
- How long is the EdD study duration?
EdD students spend the first two years of the program completing valuable coursework and the final two years working on their dissertation. However, candidates may take up to a maximum of eight years to complete their studies.
- When is EdD intake?
All semesters, (January or May or September semesters).
- How much is EdD fees?
Please refer to the OUM portal.
- What is the medium of instruction of the programme?
English. However, students may write their assignments and Dissertation in English or Bahasa Melayu.
- OUM EdD structure
Doctor of Education (EdD) is essentially a coursework–PLUS – research degree programme (Mixed Mode). The Programme consists of 3 parts with a total of 80 credit hours, as follows:
- 36 credit hours of core concentration (12 subjects)
- 4 credit hours of Doctoral Seminar: Presentation of a Concept Paper
- 40 credit hours of Proposal and Dissertation.
- How many EdD credit hours for graduation?
80 credit hours
- What about EdD course assessment?
There is no final examination for all the taught courses. Students need to do coursework (100% weightage) and pass with a minimum of Grade B for each subject, including a concept paper, after which students will start writing research proposals that they need to defend successfully before they are allowed to proceed further.
- How are the courses in EdD conducted?
It is a blended learning (face to face tutorials, online or e-tutorial learning support and self-managed learning).
However, presently, all course tutorials at OUM are conducted via google-meet.
- What about job opportunities after completing the programme?
- Lecturers in Higher Education
- Managerial positions in Higher Education
- Leadership positions in Higher Education
- Principals of Private or International Schools
- Education Management Advisers
- Educational Consultants
- Management positions in education organisations
- Who may I contact to join EdD?
You may contact:
Any of the 34 OUM Learning Centres throughout Malaysia,
OUM Marketing Department
Dr Rosinah Binti Mahmood
DOCTOR OF EDUCATION (EdD)
Faculty of Education and Social Science
01112575881 or 03 5520 5501We look forward to see you in OUM-EdD programme.