Doctor of Philosophy (Information Technology)
(R3/481/8/0072 (A6083) 06/25)
The PhD (Information Technology) programme is designed to produce high quality professionals in computing industry. This is in line with the nation aspiration in enhancing the human capital which will be the pillar in achieving vision 2020. The PhD (Information Technology) programme in OUM create an opportunity to develop various skills which includes research, critical thinking, practical, communication and academic writing among working adults in research institutions and industries towards creating specialised and technology driven economic structure.
Upon completion of this programme our graduates will be:
i. Professionals who are knowledgeable theoretically and technically in research in-line with industry requirement.
ii. Professionals who are effective in communication and demonstrate good leadership quality in an organisation.
iii. Professionals who are capable to solve or develop computing solution innovatively, creatively, ethically and propagate lifelong learning
|Coursework||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,000 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
1. Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
2. Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
Processing fee: RM50 (Malaysian) & RM100 (International Students)
Re-registration fee of RM220 per semester is chargeable for extension of Masters Projects
|Financial options:||Payment Mode:|
|EPF (Account 2); or||JomPAY|
|Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or||Internet Banking|
|HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or||Debit/Credit Card.|
i. Master’s degree or equivalent AND candidate must complete at least ONE (1) of the first degree studies (Bachelor or Master) in Computing or related to Computing.
ii. International students should have proof of written and oral English proficiency, for example a 6.0 scale for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or equivalent.Notes for PhD by Research:
a) No direct admission from Bachelor’s degree to Doctoral programme.
b) Candidate with a bachelor degree who has enrolled for a masters degree programme may apply to change to a doctoral programme within 1 year after registering for the programme, subject to the following provisions:
i. Has demonstrated competency and ability to conduct research at the postgraduate level (Level 8 MQF);
ii. A comprehensive internal assessment by the HEP; and
iii. Obtain approval from the HEP Senate.
NOTE: Intake is subject to the approval of the Post-Graduate Committee of the Cluster.
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
This programme comprised of the following:
In the first semester, learners need to seat for Research Methodology course with three credit hours. This course focuses on the research elements, components, and its processes. The course will develop learners to have the capability to formulate research problem, research objectives, critically write literature reviews, understand various research design, data analysis and data collection, report writing and presentation. This research skill is important for learners to be analytical, critical, logical, rigorous and systematic in research writing process.
After completed the required course, learners will begin the research work under the guidance of supervisor(s). Each learner will need to meet the assigned supervisor and achieve satisfactory progress in the research work before being allowed to register in the subsequent semester. Within second to fourth semester, learners are expected to defense their research in proposal defense session. This research work will be assessed by internal and external examiners.
The areas of research in this field of study are as follows:
The objective of doctoral seminar session is to reassure that the research work is worthwhile, meaningful, viable and feasible, within the time and resource constraints of the programme. Thus, within fifth to sixth semester, learners are expected to present their research work in this session.
Learners must write the research in a thesis and defense it as the final phase of the doctoral programme. The thesis must reflect original and significant research in the learner’s chosen field. It must meet high standards of scholarship as well as contribute to the body of knowledge in that field. When the learner has completed the thesis and is ready for examination, an examining committee will be appointed to assess the thesis. The learner will be examined in the Viva Voce session.
- Who should enrol for PhD IT programme?
This programme meant for those:
- who want to achieve the highest academic qualification
- who want to be experts in the field and research
- who want to stay relevant or better opportunities in their career
- What is the uniqueness of this programme in OUM?
- You can learn and work at the same time
- You will be guided with supervisor(s) who are knowledgeable theoretically and technically in research
- You will be trained to solve or develop computing solution innovatively, creatively and ethically
- What is the area of research that you can pursue?
- Intelligent Systems
- Knowledge Management
- Information Security
- Mobile Learning
- Data Mining
- Big Data
- Internet of Things
- Semantic Technologies
- or any other related area
- What is the learning pathway of the programme?
Course Evaluation Method Research Methodology Assignment (Research Proposal) Proposal Defence Presentation & Research report Doctoral Seminar Presentation & Research report Thesis Viva Voce
- What are the entry requirements for the programme?
- Master’s degree or equivalent AND candidate must complete at least ONE (1) of the first degree studies (Bachelor or Master) in Computing or related to Computing.
- International students should have proof of written and oral English proficiency, for example a 6.0 scale for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or equivalent.
Apart from the normal entry, learners need to submit a research proposal to the programme director. The confirmation for admission will be informed after the approval of the Post-Graduate Committee from the Cluster.
- How long will this programme be?
The minimum duration will be in 4 years and maximum is 8 years
- How much is the programme fee?
The fee details are as per given in the Fees page in the programme website. https://www.oum.edu.my/doctor-of-philosophy-information-technology
- What is the structure and courses under the programme?
Refer to the link of the programme: https://www.oum.edu.my/doctor-of-philosophy-information-technology/
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes