(R/143/7/0097 (MQA/FA 4916) 12/24)
The MECHE programme has been designed to prepare working adults for higher level academic study in early childhood and to conduct research in the area of early childhood education. The research project conducted by students will enable them to learn basic research skills in early childhood education and prepare them for doctoral level study. Students wishing to progress into the academic world are exposed to academic journal writing where they are encouraged to publish their own research paper.
Students taking the programme will be provided with specific information on child care and preschool that includes innovative teaching pedagogies, quality early childhood environment, children with special needs and child development theories to enhance the practice of early childhood education. The prospects for graduates of MECHE are promising as they can embark on careers as early childhood teacher, subject matter expert, consultant, programme designer, author of children’s book, early childhood tutor, trainers and lecturer.
On top of that, students are also taught to design their own early childhood programme or curriculum and learn how to run their own early childhood centre based on the curriculum they have designed. They are also taught on how to expand their business using the franchise system so that their early childhood education centres can be replicated in other locations.
|Malaysian Learner Fees|
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
The University offers 50% discount for:
|International Learner Fees|
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
**LATEST UPDATE: 25 February 2021
i. Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or its equivalent as accepted by Senate; or
ii. Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) or its equivalent with CGPA below 2.50, is acceptable subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in related field.OR
- Malaysian; AND
- The candidate should be more than 30 years of age in the year of application; AND
- Relevant work experience / prior experiential learning; AND
- Pass the APEL Assessment (Aptitude Test, Portfolio & Interview) conducted by OUM; AND
- Possess the following qualification:
- STPM / Recognised Diploma; Or
- Matriculation / Foundation (credit score 50-52 credits; CGPA grade 2.00 and above; minimum study period of one year); Or
- A-Level (minimum of 3 courses; minimum grade E; duration of study at least 18 months); Or
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (minimum of 6 courses and 3 required elements; minimum grade of 24 points and above; duration of study at least 2 years).
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO)|
|This programme aims to produce graduates that are:|
PEO 1: To produce early childhood educators who have advanced knowledge and technically competent with good digital and numeracy skills in providing early childhood care and education services.
PEO 2: To produce early childhood educators who have caring personality, capable of inspiring positive attitude and entrepreneurial mind set in providing early childhood care and educational services.
PEO 3: To produce early childhood educators who can lead engagements with families, communities and regulators through effective communication and interpersonal skills in ensuring the well-being of children.
PEO 4: To produce early childhood educators who uphold and defend professional, ethical and sustainable practices in carrying out their duties in providing early childhood care and education at all settings.
|Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)|
|Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:|
This is a two (2) years or six (6) semester Master’s Degree by coursework and research programme. Candidates will be exposed to 11 core courses which included courses in theory, curriculum, counseling, special needs, academic writing and research methodology. Candidates can register for a maximum of three (3) courses per semester. At the end of the programme candidates are required to conduct a research project and produce a master project report within the word range of 12,000 to 15,000 words.
All classes are conducted online after working hours or on weekends. A face-to-face Google Meet class or etutorial will be conducted 10 times per semester per course online. Candidates will be provided with references, learning materials and elessons in MyINSPIRE system. Candidates are encouraged to be actively involved in online discussion forums for each course through the MyINSPIRE.
Assessment for every 11 core courses is based on 60% coursework and 40% final examination.
What is MECHE?
It is a Master of Early Childhood Programme and fully accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Who are those eligible to register for MECHE?
MECHE programme is designed to prepare working adults for high level academic study in early childhood and to conduct research in the area of early childhood education.
What is MECHE entry requirement?
- Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or its equivalent as accepted by Senate; or
- Bachelor degree (MQF Level 6) or its equivalent with CGPA below 2.50 is acceptable subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in related field.
- Candidate must be 30 years old and above in the year of application being made
- Possess Diploma/A-Levels/STPM qualification or equivalent
- Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied
- Pass APEL Assessment for Master Degree (conducted by OUM)
How long is the MECHE study duration?
Minimum 6 semester
Maximum 12 semester
- Students must fulfill the candidature of at least 6 semesters before they can graduate.
- Students may apply for a one-year extension after the 4th year, subject to approval by the Cluster Chair of Cluster of Education and Social Sciences.
When is MECHE intake?
January or May or September intake.
How much is MECHE fees?
Refer to the OUM portal. The fees will subject to OUM policy.
How many courses students need to take?
Students need to take all 12 courses from a list of required courses.
Refer to OUM portal.
How many MECHE credit hours?
40 credit hours
What about MECHE course assessment?
Students need to do coursework (60%) and final examination (40%) with the exemption of Master Project course which is 100% by course work.
What is Master Project?
Postgraduate research project written up in the form of a mini thesis.
Students need to undertake a project that can be completed within the duration of their course (minimum 2 semester maximum 8 semester)
- Students are required to work on a research project under the guidance of a supervisor appointed by OUM
- The completed research project report of not exceed 15,000 words will be assessed by the supervisor (60%) and a reviewer (40%)
What happen if I fail to submit my Master Project on 8 semesters?
If you fail to submit your Master’s Project on 8 semesters your grade for Master’s Project is F and on 9th semester you will charge for full payment (6 credits).
How do the courses in MECHE conducted?
It is a fully online (online face to face tutorials, e-forum and self-managed learning)
How do I access learning materials and submit my assignments?
All learning materials and assignment questions can be downloaded from OUM MyINSPIRE system.
Students are required to submit their assignment online through MyINSPIRE system.
How many courses I have to take for one semester?
The maximum workload allowed is 3 courses per semester.
Is it compulsory to attend physical classes or online classes?
MECHE programme is fully online. We only offer online classes and all online classes are not compulsory.
What are benefits of having MECHE?
- Students will be provided with specific information on child care and preschool that includes innovative teaching pedagogies, quality early childhood environment, children with special needs and child development theories to enhance the practice of early childhood education.
- Students have opportunity to learn how to design their own early childhood programme or curriculum and learn how to run their own early childhood centre based on the curriculum they have designed.
What are rewarding careers or opportunities that might have after completing MECHE programme?
- Early childhood / Preschool teacher
- Subject matter expert
- Programme designer
- Author of children’s book
- Early childhood tutor
- Early childhood lecturer
- Teachers trainer