Bachelor of Education (TESL) with Honours
(R2-DL/145/6/0024 (A8372) 09/22)
The Bachelor of Education with Honours (TESL) comprises subjects from both the education and English language fields. Students are required to accumulate 120 credit hours in order to graduate.
The curriculum focuses on three main components:
- development of the foundations of education and pedagogical knowledge;
- enhancement of curriculum and pedagogical knowledge in TESL; and
- improvement of knowledge in English language and TESL.
The intergrated approach of the curriculum is designed to improve student’s knowledge, skills and attitude so as to enable him/her to stimulate pupil’s intellectual interest in English language learning and acquisition and guide them towards academic success in school.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5|
|Sem 1||RM 1,944||RM 1,728||RM 1,944||RM 1,944||RM 2,592|
|Sem 2||RM 1,944||RM 1,728||RM 1,944||RM 1,944||–|
|Sem 3||RM 1,728||RM 1,944||RM 1,944||RM 2,592||–|
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,500 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
1. Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
2. Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
Processing fee: RM30 (Malaysian) & RM200 (International Students)
|Financial options:||Payment Mode:|
|EPF (Account 2); or||JomPAY|
|Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or||Internet Banking|
|HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or||Debit/Credit Card.|
i. Pass SPM/SPMV/MCE or its equivalent with 2 credits; AND
ii. Pass STPM/HSC or its equivalent with minimum 2 Principals (CGPA 2.00); or
iii. Pass a recognised Diploma; or
iv. Pass a recognised Matriculation Certificate; or
v. Pass a recognised Teaching Certificate from teacher training college; or
vi. Pass a recognised Polytechnic Certificate; or
vii. Other recognised equivalent qualifications.OR
• Malaysian; and
• Candidate must be 21 years old and above in the year of application being made; and
• Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied; and
• Pass APEL Assessment for Bachelor Degree (conducted by OUM).
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO)|
This programme aims to produce graduates that are:
PEO 1: Knowledgeable and technically competent in the aforementioned integrated fields to provide professional services of high standards to all relevant stakeholders (Cognitive)
PEO 2: Effective in leveraging on their knowledge management and interpersonal skills to communicate and collaborate with others, as well as to lead where required (Psychomotor)
PEO 3: Capable to solve education problems ethically and compassionately through sustainable approach (Cognitive)
PEO 4: Creatively driven to continually acquire new knowledge and skills as a commitment to lifelong learning, as well as to create entrepreneurial opportunities for the advancement of self and society (Affective)
|Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)|
Upon completion of all courses in this programme, the graduates should be able to:PLO 1: Demonstrate and apply knowledge of the underlying values, theories and concepts relevant to education, language learning and associated domains (Knowledge and Understanding)PLO 2: Process and synthesise empirical and theoretical data critically to create new solutions to problems encountered in educational and teaching-learning contexts with the knowledge of critical thinking and decision making (Cognitive Skill)
PLO 3: Demonstrate comprehensive practical expertise in fulfilling professional responsibilities and resolving a myriad of issues in typical and novel situations within educational and teaching-learning contexts (Practical Skills)
PLO 4: Apply intra and interpersonal skills in working towards realising individual and collective goals that are socially responsible (Interpersonal Skills)
PLO 5: Communicate effectively orally and in writing while collaborating with others as part of a team to fulfil agreed responsibilities, taking leadership role where appropriate (Communication Skills)
PLO 6: Practice information seeking, lifelong learning skills and ICT skills (Digital Skills)
PLO 7: Apply numeracy skills for occupational use, education, and training with reference to relevant and meaningful numeracy resources (Numeracy Skills)
PLO 8: Integrate leadership qualities with values, skills, commitments, ethics, autonomy and professionalism in dealing with people from diverse backgrounds in the workplace and everyday life (Leadership)
PLO 9: Commit to lifelong learning through continual knowledge acquisition, skill improvement and professional development, and to self-directed planning, management, and reflection on own learning for professional and personal development. (Personal Skill)
PLO 10: Develop innovative entrepreneurial skills by recognising, assessing, and/or realising the commercial potential of given markets and services in relevant fields. (Entrepreneurial)
PLO 11: Commit to ethical, professional, and compassionate behaviour in line with personal, organisational and occupational codes of conduct. (Ethical and Professionalism)
GENERAL STUDIES COURSES
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia 1||3|
|Falsafah dan Isu Semasa 2||2|
|Penghayatan Etika dan Peradaban 2||2|
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Learning Skills for 21st Century||3|
|English for Written Communication||3|
|English for Oral Communication||3|
|English for Science and Technical Purposes||3|
BASIC COMPULSARY COURSES
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Principles of Management fot Non-Business Major||3|
|Thinking Skills & Problem Solving||3|
|Basic Concepts of Information Technology||3|
|Introduction to Communication||3|
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Sociology and Philosophy of Education in Malaysia||3|
|Health and Physical Education||3|
|Co curriculum Education||3|
|Introduction to Guidance and Counseling||3|
- What is TESL? What is BETESL?
TESL is an acronym for Teaching English as a Second Language. It is related to teaching English in countries where English is widely used but is not the first language. BETESL is an acronym for Bachelor of Education (Teaching English as a Second Language) with Honours.
- What are the BETESL Entry Requirements?
There are two entry alternatives:
a. Normal Entry
– Pass SPM/SPMV/MCE or its equivalent with 2 credits; AND
– Pass STPM/HSC or its equivalent with minimum 2 Principals (CGPA 2.00); or
– Pass a recognised Diploma; or
– Pass a recognised Matriculation Certificate; or
– Pass a recognised Teaching Certificate from teacher training college; or
– Pass a recognised Polytechnic Certificate; or
– Other recognised equivalent qualifications. OR
b. APEL entry
– Malaysian; and
– Candidate must be 21 years old and above in the year of an application being made; and
– Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied; and
– Pass APEL Assessment for Bachelor Degree (conducted by OUM).
- Do I need to have a MUET certificate to register for this programme?
Candidates do not need to have a MUET certificate as this programme has its own English courses.
- How long is the duration of the programme, and how many semesters in a year?
Duration: 4.5 years with 13 semesters. There are 3 semesters per year.
- What will I learn from this programme?
In this programme, you will be taught and groomed to be an educator yourself. You will be theoretically informed and practically equipped to be caring, committed, and competent, for the higher learning institutional sector. You will be capable of using knowledge of the current trends in language teaching, apply creative approaches to teaching and problem-solving, and integrate computer skills in classroom teaching.
- There are many BETESL programmes offered at other universities. Why do I have to choose OUM?
The Bachelor of Education with Honours (TESL) offered by OUM is comprised of subjects from both the education and English language fields. Learners are required to accumulate 120 credit hours in order to graduate.As the first Open University in the country, OUM initially opened to 753 learners in 2001. A decade later, OUM has over 180,000 learners in more than 50 academic programmes in 35 learning centres. The number of graduates has reached 85,000 graduates. The MQA Rating System for Higher Education Institutions in Malaysia for 2011 (SETARA’11) has rated OUM as a Tier 5 (Excellent) institution.
- What are the benefits of studying TESL in OUM?
Once you graduate and receive a Bachelor of Education (TESL) with Honours from OUM, you will be qualified to teach ESL in a variety of ways around the world. Wide opportunities for teaching English is offered to you, ranging from being an English teacher to primary school students to teaching fluent professionals trying to perfect their accent in after-school classes. ESL graduates and educators are very much in high demand throughout the world. You can also create a career out of teaching English.
- Does the BETESL programme in OUM accredited and recognized by MQA?
Starting from 2007, MQA’s accreditation for Open University Malaysia (OUM) has no expiry date except for professional qualifications, which are usually accredited for 1 to 5 years. MQA’s accreditation is perpetual, and the date of its commencement starts from the date of which qualification is accredited.Visit our website for the recognition and accreditation info: https://www.oum.edu.my/recognition-and-accreditation/
- What are the job opportunities after I finished the programme?
As an OUM BETESL graduate, you will be qualified to teach English as a second language in public and private schools as well as colleges and language centres.
- Here are some of your career options:
– English Language Teacher (Primary School)
– English Language Teacher (Secondary School)
– English Tutor
– Language Trainer
You can also pursue other careers such as:
– Media / Broadcasting
– Advertising / Digital Copywriter
– Guidance Counsellor
– English Course Materials Developer
– Marketing Executive
– Public Relations Executive
- What is the financial assistance for further studies in OUM?
– PTPTN; or
– EPF (Account 2); or
– Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
– HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
– Flexible Payment Scheme.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2 years
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes