The Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNS) is designed to provide knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to be competent, safe and efficient health care providers. This is aligned with the organization`s mission to widen excess to quality education as well as to provide lifelong learning opportunities by engaging learning environment at competitive and affordable cost.
The program draws upon theoretical and practical perspectives to illuminate understanding of education and the context in which it takes place. The courses provide learners with knowledge in nursing sciences. It is designed to advance the qualification needed for nurses for their career pathway. Its distinctive goal is to enhance nurses` competency to meet with the needs of the workplace/community; providing nurses` the ability for social/professional mobility and ultimately raising standards of living.
*This programme is not available for International intake
|Malaysian Learner Fees|
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
|International Learner Fees|
|*This programme is not available for International intake|
Pass Diploma in Nursing from recognised institution by MNB with minimum two (2) years clinical working experience. (Credit transfer allowed)
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO)|
|PEO1: Demonstrate expert knowledge and skills enabling them to gain professional recognition in the field of nursing and healthcare organization.
PEO2: Practice professionally and ethically through strong moral and social values to fulfil responsibilities towards patient / individual, families, and communities.
PEO3: Capable to communicate nursing issues effectively, innovatively, creatively, ethically through the standard of evidence-based practice and develop collaborative relationships with inter-professional members of the healthcare team.
PEO4: Able to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills and recognize the need of lifelong learning for success career development throughout integration of scientific research skills, information technology for professional development and advancement.
|Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)|
|PLO1: Apply advanced nursing knowledge, critical thinking skills and problem-solving in multidisciplinary specialized field towards evidence-based practice.
PLO2: Demonstrate intellectual independence in the application of nursing knowledge within specific field (s) by applying critical, analytical and evaluation skills in the field of study/work/practice.
PLO3: Demonstrate practical skills to solve a broad range of complex problems related to nursing practices and processes concerning field of specialization.
PLO4: Discuss ideas both in written or oral forms using appropriate and different forms of presentation, confidently, accurately, and coherently in appropriate context in a well-structured manner to a diversity of audiences.
PLO5: Organise working together with different people in diverse learning and working communities as well as other groups locally and / or internationally.
PLO6: Utilise a broad range of information, media, and technology applications to support study and/or work.
PLO7: Use numerical and graphical/visual data for study/work.
PLO8: Work autonomously and show professionalism in nursing management and leadership within broad organizational parameters.
PLO9: Organize self-directed lifelong learning and professional pathways effectively.
PL10: Demonstrate entrepreneurial competency with selected project(s) in appreciation of broader socio-political, economic, cultural issues at local/national and regional level.
PL11: Demonstrate the ability to identify ethical issues, make decision ethically and professionally, align with the Nursing Acts and Regulations within the varied social and professional environment.
|1st||Learning Skills for 21st Century||3|
|Health and Wellness 2||3|
|Pharmacology for Nurses||4|
|Management & Medico Legal Studies||4|
|3rd||Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia||2|
|English for Written Communication||3|
|Nursing Health Assessment||4|
|Reflective Thinking & Writing||3|
|English for Oral Communication||3|
|Trauma & Emergency Nursing||3|
|5th||Nursing Theories and Models||3|
|Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing||3|
|7th||Professionalism and Issues in Nursing||3|
|Teaching in Nursing||3|
|Transculture in Nursing||4|
|8th||Community Health Care Nursing||4|
|Obstetric & Gynaecology||4|
|Elective Course I||3|
|Elective Course II||3|
|Introduction To Guidance And Counseling||3|
|Occupational Safety & Health Management||3|
CREDIT EXAMPTION SUBJECTS
|4||Clinical Practice For Management||3|
|5||Clinical Practice Medical||3|
|6||Clinical Practice Surgical||3|
|7||Clinical Practice Obstetric & Gynaecology||3|
|8||Clinical Practice Perioperative||3|
|9||Clinical Practice Trauma And Emergency Nursing||3|
|10||Clinical Practice Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing||3|
|11||Clinical Practice Pediatric Nursing||3|
|12||Clinical Practice Renal Nursing||3|
|13||Clinical Practice Community||2|
|14||Fundamental Of Nursing||3|
- Are OUM’s Bachelor of Nursing degree programme offered in full-time or part-time mode?
Bachelor of Nursing programme offered in Malaysia are run in part-time mode, making them particularly suitable for working adults seeking to upgrade their qualifications, knowledge and skills without having to give up their jobs or compromise on their life responsibilities.
- How are OUM’s Bachelor of Nursing degree programme different from other programmes offered elsewhere?
This programme is different from other institution because the curriculum is made by local academics to ensure the subjects offered can meet the requirement by Malaysian Nursing Board.
- What is the uniqueness of this programme?
The Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNS) is designed to provide knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to be competent, safe and efficient health care providers. This is aligned with the organization`s mission to widen excess to quality education as well as to provide lifelong learning opportunities by engaging learning environment at competitive and affordable cost. The program draws upon theoretical and practical perspectives to illuminate understanding of education and the context in which it takes place. The courses provide learners with knowledge in nursing sciences. It is designed to advance the qualification needed for nurses for their career pathway. Its distinctive goal is to enhance nurses` competency to meet with the needs of the workplace/community; providing nurses` the ability for social/professional mobility and ultimately raising standards of living.
- What are the courses offered under Bachelor of Nursing Sciences With Honours?
Compulsory MPU Courses:
- Learning Skills for 21st Century
- Health and Wellness 2
- Falsafah dan Isu Semasa
- English for Written Communication
- Penghayatan Etika dan Peradaban
- English for Oral Communication
- Pharmacology for Nurses
- Management & Medico Legal Studies
- Nursing Health Assessment
- Reflective Thinking & Writing
- Trauma & Emergency Nursing
- Nursing Theories and Models
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
- Research Methodology
- Paediatric Nursing
- Research Project
- Professionalism and Issues in Nursing
- Teaching in Nursing
- Transculture in Nursing
- Renal Nursing
- Community Health Care Nursing
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Oncology Nursing
- Community Services
- Introduction to Guidance and Counselling
- Occupational Safety & Health Management
- Business Law
TOTAL CREDITS 101
- Any credit exemption since I already have my diploma?
Yes. Refer the listed subjects.
- Clinical Practice for Management
- Clinical Practice Medical
- Clinical Practice Surgical
- Clinical Practice Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Clinical Practice Perioperative
- Clinical Practice Trauma and Emergency Nursing
- Clinical Practice Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
- Clinical Practice Paediatric Nursing
- Clinical Practice Renal Nursing
- Clinical Practice Community
- Fundamental of Nursing
- Medical Nursing
- Surgical Nursing
Total 44 credits
- How soon can I complete this programme?
This programme is a 4 years programme but with credit exemption, you will be able to finish within 3 years if you follow the structure without any deferment.
- How about the delivery of this programme?
This programme run in online as well as blended modes. Online mode means that you can follow an OUM programme from anywhere in
Malaysia, at your own pace and alongside your online peers, with the guidance of your e-tutor. In this mode, you need not attend face-to-face tutorials or seminars, but you are advised to attend at least 3 tutorials out of 5. Blended mode refers to a combination of online study and face-to-face tutorials/seminars. Face-to-face tutorials/seminars are supplementary, and useful only to those who need them.
This flexibility of modes is a specialty of OUM, the first open and distance learning university in Malaysia. It is particularly suitable for self-directed adult learners who want to upgrade their skills and qualifications on a part-time basis without having to give up work and other life commitments.
Once prospect enrol in this programme, you will be able to log in our MyINSPIRE. This portal has been equipped with all resources needed such as e-modules, e-forum, e-Tutorial, digital library etc.
- When can I join Bachelor of Nursing Sciences With Honours?
This programme has 3 intakes per year; January, May and September semesters.
- Who are the academic staff responsible for delivering Bachelor of Nursing Sciences With Honours at OUM?
Bachelor of Nursing Sciences with Honours are delivered by qualified and experienced subject-matter experts and tutors/facilitators with degrees from reputable universities.
The Programme Director is Ms. Rosnida Abu Bakar. Ms. Rosnida Abu Bakar obtained her master degree from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (major in Family health) and degree from University Malaya (major in Oncology Nursing).
- Are course materials provided by OUM?
All core learning materials are provided or made available for library loan. They include specially-commissioned course modules, e-textbooks, study guides,
reading bricks, AV files, CDs and/or DVDs. Learners may also use OUM’s physical and digital libraries to access a wide range of learning materials.
- How will I be assessed in this programme?
Assessment methods vary from course to course. Most courses have assignments and final exams.
- How much does it cost to pursue Bachelor of Nursing Sciences With Honours at OUM?
The total is RM28,997.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
- Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
- Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.The discounts are not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.Processing fee: RM30Financial options:
- PTPTN; or
- EPF (Account 2); or
- Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
- HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
- Flexible Payment Scheme.Payment Mode:JomPAY; or Internet Banking; or Debit/Credit Card.
- Are Bachelor of Nursing Sciences with Honours recognised by the Malaysian government?
Bachelor of Nursing Sciences with Honours is fully accredited by the MalaysianQualifications Agency (MQA). You can check to clear your doubt in MQR website.
- I’ve decided I want to pursue Bachelor of Nursing Sciences with Honours at OUM. How do I apply?
Apply online at https://fastrac.oum.edu.my/
Alternatively, visit any of OUM’s Learning Centres (LCs) located throughout the
country for guidance. For info on the LCs, go to https://www.oum.edu.my/learning-centres/
- Whom should I contact if I need to find out more about Bachelor of Nursing Sciences with Honours at OUM?
For academic-related enquiries related to nursing programme, email Ms. Rosnida Abu Bakar at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +60194171757.