(R3-DL/143/4/0007 (A6959) 05/28)
Children Learning and Development have been the focus of the Early Childhood Education (ECE). ECE provides the basic education and prepares children for primary school education. The ECE programme at OUM will contribute to the all-rounded development of ECE teachers by updating their knowledge, skills and attitude as ECE professionals.
The programme is tailor-designed for Early Childhood principals, administrators, teachers, care takers, childminders and those involved with young learners to ensure that they have the necessary and enriched knowledge about child development and assessment, curriculum content, children arts and music, learning and pedagogy, health and safety, and ECE-center management skills.
*This programme is not available for International intake
|Malaysian Learner Fees|
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
|International Learner Fees
|*This programme is not available for International intake|
i. Pass SPM/SPMV/MCE or its equivalent, with minimum a credit in 3 subjects; or
ii. Pass UEC with minimum Grade B in 3 subjects; or
iii. Pass O-Level with minimum Grade C in 3 subjects; or
iv. Pass SKM Level 3 in Early Childhood/ Preschool Care and pass SPM with minimum a credit in 1 subject; or
v. Pass Community College Certificate equivalent to MQF Level 3 in related field and pass SPM with minimum a credit in 1 subject; or
vi. Pass Early Childhood Education Certificate (MQF Level 3) in related field with a minimum CGPA of 2.00; or
vii. Pass STPM or equivalent with a minimum Grade C (GP 2.00) in 1 subject; or
viii. Pass STAM with minimum grade of Maqbul; or
ix. Other qualifications recognized as equivalent by the Malaysian Government.
• Malaysian; and
• Candidate must be 20 years old and above in the year of application being made; and
• Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied; and
• Pass APEL Assessment for a Diploma (conducted by OUM).
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO)|
|This programme aims to produce graduates that are:
PEO 1: To produce early childhood educators who have relevant and related knowledge and technically competence in good digital and numeracy skills.
PEO 2: To produce early childhood educators who have caring personality, positive attitude and entrepreneurial mind set in providing early childhood care and educational services.
PEO 3: To produce early childhood educators who are responsible and accountable in engaging families and communities through good communication and interpersonal skills in ensuring the well-being of children.
PEO 4: To produce early childhood educators who are professional, ethical and sustainable practices in carrying out their duties in providing early childhood care and education at all settings.
|Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)
|Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Health And Wellness 1||2|
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Learning Skills for Open Distance Learners||3|
|English for Oral Communications||3|
|English for Workplace Communications||3|
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Fardhu Ain for Young Children||3|
|Kemahiran Pengajaran Bahasa Arab||3|
|Introduction to Special Needs||3|
|Educating Young Children with Diverse Abilities||3|
- Why should I take a Diploma in Early Childhood Education (DECE)?
If you want to be in the early childhood line in Malaysia, DECE is the minimum requirement you will need.
- Why should I take it at Open University Malaysia?
There are many reasons. To name a few:
- OUM is owned by 11 public universities in Malaysia, making it a stable university to study in.
- DECE program in OUM has accreditation from MQA and recognized by JPA.
- It can be done online or with F2F classes during weekends.
- You can do your practicum in your school.
- It has a variety of electives to choose from:
- Islamic Studies
- Special Needs
- Mandarin (January 2021)
- Physical Education for Preschool (January 2021)
- Does my experience in any way help me in my studies?
Of course, in OUM, we value your experience.
1. You may transfer credit through APEL C
2. You may do teaching assignments instead of being physically at the setting for practicum if you have five years and more teaching experience
- How much are the fees
It is among the cheapest fees, just RM 12, 780 which you will pay in 10 semesters.
- How long is the duration of my studies
It is just ten semesters or three years and four months.
- Is there a possibility of finishing my studies early
Yes, other than getting credit transfers, you can opt to take four courses per semester.
- What are the jobs people might hold after completing the Diploma in Early Childhood Education successfully?
a. Early Childhood Educator
c. Entrepreneur Principal
- Can I teach in government schools in later years?
You may refer to the Ministry of Education Malaysia or visit their website at www.moe.gov.my for more information.
- Do you offer any scholarship?
No, but you may apply the following for financial assistance:
- PTPTN; or
- EPF (Account 2); or
- Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
- HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
- Flexible Payment Scheme.
- What is the average class size?
Not more than 20 students.
- If I were to do it fully online, what support would I be getting?
You would get the following support:
- a forum that you may ask questions and interact with your peers and tutor 24 hours every day.
- Video lectures
- lesson plan
- E Tutorial
- I have working experience in preschools; is there any special entry requirement to enrol in this diploma programme?
Yes. The Ministry of Higher Education has set special minimum entry requirements as follows:
a. 1 credit in SPM with a minimum of 5 years of working experience
b. 2 credits in SPM with a minimum of 3 years of working experience
- What if I don’t have any credits, but I do have working experience, Can I still apply?
Yes, you can apply through APEL entry but your need to be a
- must be 20 years old and above in the year of application being made;
- Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied; and
- Pass APEL Assessment for a Diploma (conducted by OUM)
- How do I apply for the course ?
You would need to do the following :
- Apply online
- Go to the nearest centre and with your certificates, IC and RM30 processing fees.
- What is the requirement for the normal entry?
The requirements are as follows:
- Pass SPM/SPMV/MCE or its equivalent, with minimum credit in 3 subjects; or
- Pass UEC with minimum Grade B in 3 subjects; or
- Pass O-Level with minimum Grade C in 3 subjects; or
- Pass SKM Level 3 in Early Childhood/ Preschool Care and pass SPM with minimum credit in 1 subject; or
- Pass Community College Certificate equivalent to MQF Level 3 in a related field and pass SPM with minimum credit in 1 subject; or
- Pass Early Childhood Education Certificate (MQF Level 3) in a related field with a minimum CGPA of 2.00; or
- Pass STPM or equivalent with a minimum Grade C (GP 2.00) in 1 subject; or
- Pass STAM with a minimum grade of Maqbul; or
- Other qualifications recognized as equivalent by the Malaysian Government.
- Can I further my studies after acquiring a Diploma in Early Childhood Education in Open University Malaysia?
Yes, OUM offers Bachelor in Early Childhood Education and Master in Early childhood Education.
Do you know that with a Diploma in Early Childhood and work experience you may apply for Master in Early Childhood Education through APEL.
- Will I be able to get any credit transfer if I decide to study in OUM?
Yes, if you decide to proceed to Bachelor in Early Childhood Education, you can get 50% credit transfer. That would mean graduating faster with less money spent.