Diploma in Early Childhood Education
(R2-DL/143/4/0007 (A6959) 07/21)
Children Learning and Development have been the focus of the Early Childhood Education (ECE). ECE provides the basic education and prepares children for primary school education. The ECE programme at OUM will contribute to the all-rounded development of ECE teachers by updating their knowledge, skills and attitude as ECE professionals.
The programme is tailor-designed for Early Childhood principals, administrators, teachers, care takers, childminders and those involved with young learners to ensure that they have the necessary and enriched knowledge about child development and assessment, curriculum content, children arts and music, learning and pedagogy, health and safety, and ECE-center management skills.
*This programme is not available for International intake
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
|Sem 1||RM 1,278||RM 1,136||RM 1,278||RM 1,704|
|Sem 2||RM 1,136||RM 1,278||RM 1,278||–|
|Sem 3||RM 1,136||RM 1,278||RM 1,278||–|
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,000 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
1. Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
2. Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
Processing fee: RM30 (Malaysian) & RM100 (International Students)
|Financial options:||Payment Mode:|
|EPF (Account 2); or||JomPAY|
|Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or||Internet Banking|
|HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or||Debit/Credit Card.|
i. Pass SPM/SPMV/MCE or its equivalent, with minimum a credit in 3 subjects; or
ii. Pass UEC with minimum Grade B in 3 subjects; or
iii. Pass O-Level with minimum Grade C in 3 subjects; or
iv. Pass SKM Level 3 in Early Childhood/ Preschool Care and pass SPM with minimum a credit in 1 subject; or
v. Pass Community College Certificate equivalent to MQF Level 3 in related field and pass SPM with minimum a credit in 1 subject; or
vi. Pass Early Childhood Education Certificate (MQF Level 3) in related field with a minimum CGPA of 2.00; or
vii. Pass STPM or equivalent with a minimum Grade C (GP 2.00) in 1 subject; or
viii. Pass STAM with minimum grade of Maqbul; or
ix. Other qualifications recognized as equivalent by the Malaysian Government.
OR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENT
(VALID UNTIL 31/12/2018 ONLY)
Pass SPM or equivalent with minimum 2 credits in any subject AND 3 years working experience in early childhood education; OR
Pass SPM or equivalent with minimum 1 credit in any subject AND 5 years working experience in early childhood education.
• Malaysian; and
• Candidate must be 20 years old and above in the year of application being made; and
• Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied; and
• Pass APEL Assessment for a Diploma (conducted by OUM).
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO)|
|This programme aims to produce graduates that are:
PEO 1: Knowledgeable and competent in early childhood discipline in-line with the industry requirement (Cognitive)
PEO 2: Effective in communication and demonstrate good leadership quality in early childhood organisation (Psychomotor)
PEO 3: Capable to solve education problems related to early childhood innovatively, creatively and ethically through sustainable approach (Cognitive)
PEO 4: Able to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills and recognise the need of lifelong learning for successful career development in early childhood industry (Affective).
|Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)|
Upon completion of all courses in this programme, the graduates should be able to:PLO1: Evaluate theories and concepts in early childhood education (Knowledge and Understanding)PLO2: Apply critical thinking skills for decision making (Cognitive Skill)PLO3: Demonstrate the skills and principles of lifelong learning in their academic and early childhood career development (Practical Skills)
PLO4: Demonstrate an appropriate social skill in early childhood education and care activities (Interpersonal skills)
PLO5: Demonstrate effective communication and innovative ideas effectively (Communication Skills)
PLO6: Appreciate digital technology to support learning and improve education experience. (Digital skills)
PLO7: Ability to understand and analyse numerical information and to make the right conclusions and decisions. (Numeracy Skills)
PLO8: Perform leadership in managing early childhood education and care activities. (Leadership)
PLO9: Develop capability to plan for career development or further education (Personal Skill)
PLO10: Develop innovative entrepreneurial skills in early childhood education industry. (Entrepreneurial)
PLO 11: Practice and conduct research in compliance with professional values, attitude and ethics. (Ethics and Professionalism)
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Falsafah dan Isu Semasa 1||2|
|Subject Name||Credit Hours|
|Learning Skills for Open Distance Learners||3|
|English for Oral Communications||3|
|English for Workplace Communications||3|
- Why should I take a Diploma in Early Childhood Education (DECE)?
If you want to be in the early childhood line in Malaysia, DECE is the minimum requirement you will need.
- Why should I take it at Open University Malaysia?
There are many reasons. To name a few:
- OUM is owned by 11 public universities in Malaysia, making it a stable university to study in.
- DECE program in OUM has accreditation from MQA and recognized by JPA.
- It can be done online or with F2F classes during weekends.
- You can do your practicum in your school.
- It has a variety of electives to choose from:
- Islamic Studies
- Special Needs
- Mandarin (January 2021)
- Physical Education for Preschool (January 2021)
- Does my experience in any way help me in my studies?
Of course, in OUM, we value your experience.
1. You may transfer credit through APEL C
2. You may do teaching assignments instead of being physically at the setting for practicum if you have five years and more teaching experience
- How much are the fees
It is among the cheapest fees, just RM 12, 780 which you will pay in 10 semesters.
- How long is the duration of my studies
It is just ten semesters or three years and four months.
- Is there a possibility of finishing my studies early
Yes, other than getting credit transfers, you can opt to take four courses per semester.
- What are the jobs people might hold after completing the Diploma in Early Childhood Education successfully?
a. Early Childhood Educator
c. Entrepreneur Principal
- Can I teach in government schools in later years?
You may refer to the Ministry of Education Malaysia or visit their website at www.moe.gov.my for more information.
- Do you offer any scholarship?
No, but you may apply the following for financial assistance:
- PTPTN; or
- EPF (Account 2); or
- Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
- HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
- Flexible Payment Scheme.
- What is the average class size?
Not more than 20 students.
- If I were to do it fully online, what support would I be getting?
You would get the following support:
- a forum that you may ask questions and interact with your peers and tutor 24 hours every day.
- Video lectures
- lesson plan
- E Tutorial
- I have working experience in preschools; is there any special entry requirement to enrol in this diploma programme?
Yes. The Ministry of Higher Education has set special minimum entry requirements as follows:
a. 1 credit in SPM with a minimum of 5 years of working experience
b. 2 credits in SPM with a minimum of 3 years of working experience
- What if I don’t have any credits, but I do have working experience, Can I still apply?
Yes, you can apply through APEL entry but your need to be a
- must be 20 years old and above in the year of application being made;
- Have previous working experience/learning relevant to the field applied; and
- Pass APEL Assessment for a Diploma (conducted by OUM)
- How do I apply for the course ?
You would need to do the following :
- Apply online
- Go to the nearest centre and with your certificates, IC and RM30 processing fees.
- What is the requirement for the normal entry?
The requirements are as follows:
- Pass SPM/SPMV/MCE or its equivalent, with minimum credit in 3 subjects; or
- Pass UEC with minimum Grade B in 3 subjects; or
- Pass O-Level with minimum Grade C in 3 subjects; or
- Pass SKM Level 3 in Early Childhood/ Preschool Care and pass SPM with minimum credit in 1 subject; or
- Pass Community College Certificate equivalent to MQF Level 3 in a related field and pass SPM with minimum credit in 1 subject; or
- Pass Early Childhood Education Certificate (MQF Level 3) in a related field with a minimum CGPA of 2.00; or
- Pass STPM or equivalent with a minimum Grade C (GP 2.00) in 1 subject; or
- Pass STAM with a minimum grade of Maqbul; or
- Other qualifications recognized as equivalent by the Malaysian Government.
- Can I further my studies after acquiring a Diploma in Early Childhood Education in Open University Malaysia?
Yes, OUM offers Bachelor in Early Childhood Education and Master in Early childhood Education.
Do you know that with a Diploma in Early Childhood and work experience you may apply for Master in Early Childhood Education through APEL.
- Will I be able to get any credit transfer if I decide to study in OUM?
Yes, if you decide to proceed to Bachelor in Early Childhood Education, you can get 50% credit transfer. That would mean graduating faster with less money spent.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2 years
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes