Doctor of Philosophy (Science)
(R2-DL/421/8/0007 (A6754) 02/21)
The aim of the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme in OUM is to create an opportunity for developing scientific research skills among working adults in research institutions and industries. To this end, this programme will enable students to gain knowledge in research skills, develop the ability to successfully conduct research projects and hence contribute to the existing body of knowledge
i. Ijazah Sarjana dalam bidang Sains/berkaitan; atau
ii. Ijazah Sarjana Muda dalam bidang Sains/berkaitan dengan mendapat ijazah Kelas Pertama dari OUM atau dari mana-mana institusi pengajian tinggi yang diiktiraf oleh Senat; DAN
a) Mendaftar sebagai pelajar lepasan Ijazah Sarjana dalam bidang Sains/bidang berkaitan terlebih dahulu ; DAN
b) Lulus Peperiksaan Kelayakan yang berkaitan
NOTA: Pengambilan pelajar adalah tertakluk kepada kelulusan Jawatankuasa Pasca-Siswazah Kluster.
i. Master’s degree in Science/related field; or
ii. Bachelor’s degree with First Class in Science/related field from OUM or other higher institutions recognised by Senate; AND
a) Registered for a Master’s degree in Science /related field; AND
b) Pass related qualifying examination.
NOTE: Intake is subject to the approval of the Post-Graduate Committee of the Cluster.
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,000 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
- Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
- Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
- RM50 (Malaysian) & RM100 (International Students)
Re-registration fee of RM220 per semester is chargeable for extension of Masters Projects
- EPF (Account 2); or
- Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
- HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
- JomPAY; or
- Internet Banking; or
- Debit/Credit Card.
This programme is comprised of the following:
|Research Methodology in Science
This 3-credit course is offered to learners during the first semester and focuses on the research elements, components, and processes in scientific research, its purpose and importance. Various types of research, characteristics of scientific research, and logical methods of reasoning, hypothetic-deductive method will be discussed. The course will equip learners with skills such as the capability to formulate research problems and research objectives, theoretical framework, hypothesis formulation, research design, data collection methods, scale and measurements, reliability and validity, data analysis methods, report writing and presentation.
After completing the course, learners will begin research work. Each learner will be assigned to supervisor(s) who will guide them through their research. Students are required to demonstrate satisfactory progress in their research work before being allowed to register for the subsequent semester. Within the second to the fourth semester, learners will be expected to defend their research in the proposal defence stage. This research work will be assessed by internal and external examiners.
The possible areas of research in this field of study are as follows:
• Computational and Theoretical Mathematics
• Applied Mathematics in Engineering
• Theoretical Physics
• Project Management
The aim of this course is to ensure that the research work carried out is rigorous, meaningful and feasible within the time and resource constraints of the programme. Thus, within the fifth to the sixth semester, learners are expected to present their research work.
Learners must write up their research work in a thesis and defend their work in the final stage of the doctoral programme. The thesis must be an original body of work that can make a significant contribution in the learner’s chosen field. When the learner has completed the thesis and is ready for examination, an examining committee will be appointed to assess the thesis. The learner will be examined in a Viva Voce session.
Doctor of Philosophy (Science) Faqs
- What is the aim of the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme at OUM?
The aim of this programme is to create an opportunity for developing scientific research skills among working adults in research institutions and industries.
- What does the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme at OUM offer me?
In terms of learning outcomes, learners who successfully complete this programme at OUM can expect to be able to:
- Demonstrate excellent ability to conduct scientific research
- Possess practical knowledge and skills in scientific data analysis
- Critically review ideas and issues constructively
- Demonstrate exemplary leadership and practise ethical standards in intellectual discourse
- Communicate ideas clearly and systematically by adhering to scholarly principles
- Plan and implement solutions to solve scientific problems
- Possess high ability to work independently and inculcating a lifelong learning culture
- Develop and manage scientific research plans for effective implementation.
- Who should apply for the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme?
If you are interested in scientific research, passionate about creating fresh knowledge, discovering new things, seeking a greater depth of knowledge in a specific area in science and developing a new set of skills, then you should seriously consider applying for this programme. Furthermore, the transferable skills honed in this programme are highly valued by employers.
- What is the fee for the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme?
The total fee for the entire programme can be found here: https://www.oum.edu.my/portfolio-items/doctor-of-philosophy-science/
Fees are subject to change without prior notice.
- What is the entry requirement into the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme?
The entry requirement is a Master’s degree in Science or its equivalent. However, acceptance of a student into this programme is subject to the approval of the Postgraduate Committee.
- How soon will it take me to complete the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme?
It will take you a minimum of 4 years to complete this programme.
- Is this programme recognized by the Malaysian government?
PhD (Science) (A 6754 ) is fully accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- What are my potential career options after graduating from this programme?
Doctoral graduates from this programme may opt for careers in academia, consulting or research, as well as undertake specialist roles in areas related to science in universities, research institutes, and industrial R&D laboratories.
- What are the courses offered in the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme?
The courses offered are as follows:
- How is this programme delivered?
This programme is delivered in an online mode. In addition to virtual e-tutorials for certain sessions, students are able to interact with their peers and their facilitator/supervisor though the online platform.
- How will I be evaluated in the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme ?
||Assignment (Research Proposal)
||Presentation & Research Report
||Presentation & Research Report
- When can I join the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme?
This programme accepts student intakes in the January, May and September semesters.
- I’ve decided I want to pursue the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme at OUM. How do I apply?
Apply online at http://fastrac.oum.edu.my/
Alternatively, visit any of OUM’s Learning Centres (LCs) located throughout the country for guidance. For info on the LCs, go to https://www.oum.edu.my/learningcentres/
- Are course materials provided by OUM?
All courses materials will be provided by OUM. In addition, learners may use OUM’s physical and digital libraries to access a wide range of learning materials.
- Whom should I contact if I need to find out more about the Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme?
For academic-related enquiries related to Doctor of Philosophy (Science) programme , please email Dr. P. Rajesh Kumar at email@example.com.
For general enquiries on OUM programmes, email the Marketing Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org .
⃰ All information contained in this FAQ are subject to revision without prior notice