Master of Psychology
(N/311/7/0073 (MQA/FA5677) / 08/2020 )
The Master of Psychology (MPSY) programme is offered by the Cluster of Education and Social Sciences (CESS) as another postgraduate programme in OUM. It is a challenging yet rewarding programme that allow individuals to choose specific specialization relevant to their needs. This master’s degree allows individuals to register with the American Psychological Association (APA) and they can begin to practice as a certified psychologist.
The objectives of the MPSY programme are:
- To develop a professional orientation and identity as a psychologist by applying sound ethical and legally practice in the field of psychology.
- To develop effective communication skills and problem solving in their everyday life.
- To develop graduate with critical thinking and using scientific approach in the areas of psychology.
- To develop an empirically based approach to psychology that emphasize wellness and prevention by integrating theory and best practices.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
This programme aims to produce graduates that are:
PEO1 To produce graduates who are able to demonstrate mastery of knowledge of psychology through the conduct of psychology research. (Cognitive)
PEO2 To produce graduates who are able to apply practical skills in psychology and to work collaboratively and cooperatively with peers and society though effective communication skills. (Psychomotor)
PEO3 To produce graduates who are able to demonstrate leadership, autonomy, and responsibilities at work and at conducting research including in the use of a wide range of technologies and software. (Affective)
PEO4 To produce graduates who are able to manage information for lifelong learning with the adherence to legal, ethical and professional codes of practice. (Affective)
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)
Upon completion of all courses in this programme, the graduates should be able to:
PLO1 Demonstrate originality and independence in undertaking analytical and critical evaluation and synthesis of complex information in the field of psychology as a basis for research. (Knowledge and Understanding)
PLO2 Adapt exemplifies capacity to conduct standard and specialised research methods/approaches which are informed by psychological knowledge as its forefront with the integration of the latest development in the psychology discipline. (Cognitive skill)
PLO3 Show capabilities to generate, design, implement and adopt the integral part of research processes in specialised areas in psychology in a scientific manner. (Practical Skill)
PLO4 Adjust suitable interpersonal skills to be able to work collaboratively and cooperatively with peers. (Interpersonal Skill)
PLO5 Communicate and convey information, ideas, problems and solutions effectively to the general public and professional community. (Communication)
PLO6 Demonstrate competent use of wide range of suitable digital technologies and appropriate software to enhance study and research in psychology. (Digital Skill)
PLO7 Adapt the appropriate applications and systems to measure and interpret numerical data from psychological research. (Numeracy Skill)
PLO8 Demonstrate significant, autonomy, independence leadership responsibilities through communicating and working effectively with peers and stakeholders. (Leadership)
PLO9 Apply psychological principles by explaining and suggesting solutions to personal, organisational and social issues including self-understanding and socio-cultural and international diversity. (Personal Skill)
PLO10 Initiate and/or lead entrepreneurial ventures or projects in psychology. (Entrepreneurial)
PLO11 Demonstrate confidence to give ethical advice and make decisions even in situations with limited information by considering ethics outlined by profession. (Ethical and Professionalism)
Ijazah Sarjana Muda Psikologi atau yang setara dengan minimum PNGK 2.75 daripada 4.00.
Nota : Ijazah Sarjana Muda Psikologi tidak mencapai PNGK 2.75 (tetapi tidak kurang daripada 2.50) boleh diterima bergantung kepada penilaian dalaman yang terperinci oleh sebuah panel penilai bebas.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology or its equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.75 out of 4.00.
Note : A Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology not meeting CGPA of 2.75 (but not lower than 2.50) can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment by an independent review panel.
- The provisional offer of admission will be revoked if the candidate:
- Fails to submit evidence of qualification within the stipulated date; or
- Does not meet the entry requirements of the University.
- Entry requirements are subject to change as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
* Fees applicable to Malaysians and Permanent Residents only.
* International students are required to pay registration fees of RM1,000 and an additional 20% for the tuition fees.
* The University reserves the right to revise the fees without prior notice.
Discount for the Physically Challenged Learners (OKU) and Senior Citizens
The University offers 50% discount for:
- Senior citizens aged 60 and above on registration date; and
- Physically challenged learners – a valid Orang Kelainan Upaya (OKU) is required.
These discounts are for subject fees only and are not applicable for research and other fees. The discounts are also not valid for second time registration and repeating of subjects.
Learners who receive this discount are not entitled to other discounts and promotions.
- RM50 (Malaysian) & RM100 (International Students)
Re-registration fee of RM220 per semester is chargeable for extension of Masters Projects
- EPF (Account 2); or
- Education or Personal Loan from commercial banks; or
- HRDF (subject to employer’s eligibility); or
- JomPAY; or
- Internet Banking; or
- Debit/Credit Card.
The program is offered in 6 semesters (2 years) with a total of 49 credits consisting of 5 core courses, with 2 specialisations. Each specialisation includes 5 major courses, master project and practicum. The assessment is both continuous evaluation and a final submission of project paper. Courses offer as below :
|Name and Course Code
|Applied Statistics AMPN5103
|Multicultural Psychology APPM5103
|Ethical, Legal and Professional Issues AMPL5103
|Research Methods in Psychology AMPR5103
|Specialisation 1: Industrial and Organisation
|Organisational Psychology AMPO5103
|Training & Development AMPD5203
|Group Dynamics AMPG5103
|Organisational Development & Change AMPO5203
|Occupational Safety & Health AMPK5203
|Master Project AMPR5207
|Practicum in Industrial Organisational Psychology AMPP5212
|Specialisation 2: Educational Psychology
|Advanced Educational Psychology AMPY5103
|Measurement & Evaluation in Education AMPE5103
|Human Development Across Life Span AMPY5203
|Theories and Practices of Teaching and Learning AMPE5203
|Psychology of Thinking Skills AMPY5303
|Master Project AMPE5307
|Practicum in Educational Psychology AMPY5412
Master Of Psychology (MPSY) Faqs
- What is MPSY?
MPSY stands for Masters in Psychology degree accredited by the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA).
- What is MPSY entry requirement?
- To pursue in the Masters of Industrial and Organisational Psychology programme, candidate should have a Bachelor Degree in Psychology OR any bachelor degree from other fields with a minimum CGPA of 3.0/4.00 from a recognized university.
- To pursue in the Masters of Educational Psychology programme, candidate should have a Bachelor Degree in Education with a minimum CGPA of 2.75/4.00. Candidate with other Bachelor’s Degree should have a minimum CGPA of 3.0/4.0 and at least FIVE years teaching experience in the school, college or university settings.
- How long is the MPSY study duration?
It is a 2-year or 6 semesters programme of studies.
- When is MPSY intake?
January or May or September intake.
- How much is MPSY fees?
Kindly refer to the OUM portal. The fees will subject to OUM policy. You will get 20% discount for early registration. In addition, you are not required to pay in full in the beginning of each semester. You can make partial payment and need to settle to balance before the examination in each semester.
- MPSY structure
Kindly refer to OUM portal.
- How many MPSY credit hour?
Candidate need to complete a minimum of 41 credit hours to graduate.
- What about MPSY course assessment?
Students need to do coursework (60%) and final examination (40%) with the exemption of two courses which is 100% by coursework.
- Can I apply as a student using my working experience?
Yes, working experience is an added value and will be considered to those who are applying for the Masters in Educational Psychology programme.
- How does the courses in MPSY conducted?
It is conducted via fully online through e-tutorial learning support and self-managed learning.
- Who can I contact for further enquiries regarding the MPSY programme?
||Prof. Datuk Dr. Mohd Tajudin Md Ninggal
|+6 03-7801 3911
||Mr. Mohd Firdaus Mohd Ali
||+6 03-7801 1831
||Madam Haslinda Haron
||+6 03-7801 2076
||Mr. A.Tarmizi Abdul Aziz
||+6 03-7801 1946